Some Early Homes of
||The William M. Shoemaker house, 1892
Mr. William M. Shoemaker built his first
cottage in 1893 and 1894 on Oak Lane. He was first taxed in 1894, and
his lease was dated 1892 and recorded in 1896. Mr. Shoemaker and family
lived here for some years and after the death of Mrs. Shoemaker it was
sold to Mr. W. A. Lathrop in 1898.
After occupying it for some time, Mr.
Lathrop sold the property to Mr. I. P. Hand in 1905. Mr. Lapthrop died
Mr. Hand and family lived here until
September, 1915, when the house was destroyed by fire. This house was
between the L. C. Paine, now the Laythrop house, and the present W. M.
||The Smith Brothers Farm truck, 1935
The White Thorn Farm was
established in the early 1900’s by George Smith and for decades it was a
showpiece of the farming community.
In 1910 the Smith’s built a
sawmill on the farm and cut timber cleared from the fields which was
used to construct 13 farm buildings.
The farm was perfect example
of how families at the time were self-sufficient. Aside from a large
dairy barn and farmhouse. Smith also constructed a horse barn, two-story
chicken coop, saw-mill, blacksmith shop, butcher shop, and milk-house,
along the Wapwallopen Creek.
||Home built by John C. Haddock, 1914.
In 1914, Mr. J. C. Haddock, Sr., built a
home on Loop Road for his daughter, Mrs. Carlton C. Jones.
After spending several summers here, Mr. and Mrs. Jones decided in 1932
to make this their all-year home and spent many summers and winters here
The view from this cottage is one of the
finest on the mountain.
||Fred M. Kirby House, 1913
The beautiful stone house, “Graystone
Terrace”, which Mr. Kirby had designed by Architects McCormick and
French and was built in the years 1914 and 1915 of conglomerate rock,
some being picked up on the mountain roundabout, but most of which was
brought from Rocky Glen in Lackawanna County.
Mr. Kirby’s estate was so large and
required so much water for his house and grounds that he had a well
driven down about six hundred feet, where he found plenty of water.
In 1924, on his return from a trip
around the world, Mr. Kirby engaged 13 Japanese gardeners to build for
him on the southern portion of his property a beautiful Japanese garden,
one of the finest in America.
The undertaking took between
15-18 months to complete at the cost of a million dollars. Mr. Kirby’s
estate is probably one of the most beautiful in this part of the state.
||The John Welles
Hollenback House, 1888
Mr. Hollenback built his home in 1888, it
being the eighth, and is located on the corner of White Birch Lane, Bear
Creek, and Sunset Roads. He and his family lived here for many years and
usually stayed until late fall. He lived to the age of 96 years and died
in 1923. The home is now owned by Miss Amelia Hollenback, their
daughter, who occupies it occasionally. Mr. Hollenback was one of the
most active men in bringing Glen Summit Springs into existence, as will
be shown in future pages. He was also a churchman, public-spirited and a
||Edward R. Jones Home,
Mr. Edward H. Jones of the Vulcan Iron
Works, Wilkes-Barre, built one of the most comfortable homes of the time
in 1893 fronting on Spruce Lane. Mr. Jones was first taxed in 1893, and
was taxed on a finished home in 1894. It is somewhat difficult to
properly state on which road the homes are located, as many of them are
placed on the rear of the lots, yet face the west. The cottages are all
located on steep mountainsides, or on roads running parallel to one
another across the slopes, while the footpaths run from the bottom to
the top. Each lot extends from one road to another in the rear of it.
The Hugus home which is next to the Jones home, is entered from Oak
Lane. Mr. Edward H. Jones died in 1908. The property was sold to Mr.
Levi E. Waller in 1909, and he with his family lived here for some years
and later sold it in 1931 to Mrs. Marian W. Pool. Mr. Waller and Miss
Alice M. Buckalew were married in October, 1881. Mr. Levi E. Waller was
born July 16, 1851, and died June 30, 1934.
photo Bradley M. Ayers Home in Fairview Height 1935, Bradley Ayers was
the original developer of Fairview Heights section of Mountain Top
In the year of 1892
John Foley dug a well with a pick and shovel. He struck water at the
28-foot depth level. It was (and is ) an artesian well. He walled it in
stone and built a stone enclosure over the well. He also built a small
stone shed into the side of the hill where he lived while he was working
on the stone house. This became a root cellar. He also built a stone
barn. This later became a dress factory owned and operated by Grassos in
the late 1940’s and 1950’s.
at his trade of stonemason and in his spare time he worked at
constructing the stone house. He dug stones out of the ground and cut
down trees. He traded logs one for one at the sawmill. He used the Ash
and Oak for timbers and lumber for the floors, etc. He did all this
mostly by himself and a team of horses. His transportation at the time
was by horse and wagon. He dug sand out of the ground to use in his
mortar and he also sold some of the timbers in order to buy cement and
tools and materials that he needed to construct his home. When completed
he had a three-story home of two large ground floor rooms and four
bedrooms on the second floor, the third floor was an attic. He completed
it in 1904.
||The Richards home is the
on North Main St Fairview Twp
||The Wetzel Home, 1930 is
Woodlawn Ave. Fairview Twp
||The Wilcox residence is
next to the old Post-office North Main St Fairview Twp.